Publisher: IDG – April 1, 2000
This title is out of print, and there is no newer edition available. You may still be able to find copies online.
Welcome to Windows 2000 Developer’s Guide. The fact that you are reading this description indicates that you have an interest in writing applications for Windows 2000. That’s a good thing. Windows 2000 is an exciting and powerful platform on which to develop and deploy all sorts of applications. Over the past few years Microsoft NT has proven itself to be a solid, reliable, and cost effective option both as a client desktop and as a network operating system. Windows 2000 promises to continue this trend, further solidifying Windows’ place on the majority of the computers out there.
Windows 2000 is the most powerful and complete operating system yet in the Microsoft Windows family. But with that power comes complexity, and the need for a through and complete understanding of Windows 2000 architecture and solid knowledge of the ins and outs of Windows application development.
And that’s what this book is designed to provide. Step-by-step, methodically and systematically, this book will teach you all you need to know to develop Windows 2000 applications. Written clearly, concisely, with detailed examples and thorough explanations, Windows 2000 Developer’s Guide is the type of book that we, the authors, wish was available when we first learned Windows application development.
Windows 2000 is a very important operating system, and one that plays an important role in Microsoft’s future. Some of the new technologies in Windows 2000 (technologies covered in this book) include:
* Simpler and more intuitive user interface, and the ability for you to create the same for your own applications (using new GUI API’s, new common controls, and more).
* Improved and simplified installation wizards, and the ability for you to create the same.
* Sophisticated web and Internet integration.
* Active Directory, a next generation Directory Service.
* Standards based security structure.
* Support for more processors and memory than ever before.
* Improved system management.
* Integrated support for COM+, message queuing, and other application services.
* Rigid compliance rules to ensure application stability and consistency.
* And much more.
To learn Windows 2000 development systematically and methodically, start at the fist chapter and work your way through the book. Each chapter builds on the technologies and skills learned in prior chapters, and working through each lesson and example will provide you with all the knowledge and know-how needed to start writing world class Windows 2000 applications.
Developers with prior Windows development experience (especially Windows NT development experience) might want to use the book as a tutorial and reference on the new features and technologies in Windows 2000. To aid your use of the book in this way, a thorough and comprehensive index is included. In addition, throughout the book cross references are made to chapters containing other relevant information allowing you to pinpoint the information you need when you need it.
Either way, we think you’ll find that this book is all you need to master Windows 2000 application development. And with that, Happy Coding!
- 1: An Overview of Windows 2000
- 2: Basic Operating System Programming
- 3: Using Kernel Objects
- 4: Commonly Used Kernel Objects
- 5: The GDI API
- 6: Using the Common Controls
- 7: Using the Common Dialogs
- 8: Working with Windows
- 9: Shell Services
- 10: Application Building Services
- 11: Service Applications
- 12: Memory Management
- 13: The File System
- 14: The Active Directory
- 15: Additional System Services
- 16: Working with COM+
- 17: Deliver Applications
- 18: Development Support
- Appendix: Using the Examples in This Book
Appendix – Using the Examples in This Book
As explained in this appendix, the complete set of source listings for this book may be downloaded from this Web page.
- w2kdg.zip – single ZIP file containing all listings (approx. 2MB)
- w2kdg_02.zip (32k)
- w2kdg_03.zip (40k)
- w2kdg_04.zip (35k)
- w2kdg_05.zip (685k)
- w2kdg_06.zip (327k)
- w2kdg_07.zip (40k)
- w2kdg_08.zip (55k)
- w2kdg_09.zip (49k)
- w2kdg_10.zip (39k)
- w2kdg_11.zip (30k)
- w2kdg_12.zip (14k)
- w2kdg_13.zip (164k)
- w2kdg_14.zip (69k)
- w2kdg_15.zip (31k)
- w2kdg_16.zip (191k)
- w2kdg_17.zip (21k)
- w2kdg_18.zip (58k)
These ZIP file all contain complete directory structures which should be kept and maintained when unZIPped.