Publisher: Sams – September 1, 1999
This title is out of date, and has been replaced by Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes – Fifth Edition.
This book was born out of necessity. I have been teaching and writing on SQL for a long time – but whenever I was asked to recommend a good book on SQL I found myself somewhat stuck. There are good SQL books out there, but most of them are oriented towards database administrators or developers working within a highly database and SQL-centric world. And as such, most of them are overkill – they tend to provide too much information instead of just what most of us need to know.
This book has a specific audience in mind and was designed to be very different from other offerings out there. Instead of being geared towards DBA’s, this book is designed for real-world developers who write in Visual Basic, C/C++, ColdFusion, ASP, Delphi, Java, and any other language. Instead of being designed for folks who’s occupation is data manipulation, this book is oriented towards users of other client applications, Word users who need to mail-merge against a back end database, report writer users needing to extract information from corporate data stores, and anyone who needs to manipulate and interact with databases, but for whom database manipulation is not a full-time job.
It does not start with database fundamentals, normalization, relational database design, referential integrity, and security infrastructures. Yes, these issues are covered, but that is not the emphasis or the positioning, Rather, the book starts with the SQL SELECT statement, and then adds filtering, sorting, and so on. Table creation, working with different datatypes, implementing constraints, using stored procedures and triggers, and more are all introduced clearly and methodically in small bite size chucks. The emphasis on getting stuff done, and getting it done quickly helping you be productive as quickly as possible in whatever tool or environment you use.
I hope you find that these objectives have been met, and I welcome your feedback. Enjoy.
- 1: Understanding SQL
- 2: Retrieving Data
- 3: Sorting Retrieved Data
- 4: Filtering Data
- 5: Advanced Data Filtering
- 6: Using Wildcard Filtering
- 7: Creating Calculated Fields
- 8: Using Data Manipulation Functions
- 9: Summarizing Data
- 10: Grouping Data
- 11: Working with Subqueries
- 12: Joining Tables
- 13: Creating Advanced Joins
- 14: Combining Queries
- 15: Inserting Data
- 16: Updating and Deleting Data
- 17: Creating and Manipulating Tables
- 18: Using Views
- 19: Using Transaction Processing
- 20: Understanding Advanced SQL Features
- Appendix A: Sample Table Scripts
- Appendix B: Working in Popular Applications
- Appendix C: SQL Statement Syntax
- Appendix D: SQL Datatypes
- Appendix E: SQL Reserved Words
ErrataThere is an errata available for this title.
- Japan (Japanese): Published by Impress
- Netherlands (Dutch): Published by Academic Service
- Poland (Polish): Published by Intersoftland
- Sweden (Swedish): Published by PC Boken
Appendix A: Sample Table Scripts contains the SQL scripts that you should use to create and populate the sample tables used throughout this book. As explained at the beginning of the appendix, to follow the lessons and examples in the book you will need the described tables.
To save you from having to enter the scripts manually, you may download the following two files:
- TeachYourselfSQLScripts.zip contains the SQL scripts to create and populate the five database tables. If you plan to use these scripts please read the notes at the top of each file.
- TeachYourselfSQLData.zip contains complete populated Access 97 and Access 2000 MDB files. These files may be used as is and you will not need to execute any of the SQL scripts in Appendix A.
Other Editions Of This Title
- Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes – Second Edition (Published May 1, 2001 by Sams)
- Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes – Third Edition (Published April 1, 2004 by Sams)
- Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes – Fourth Edition (Published November 4, 2012 by Sams)
- Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes – Fifth Edition (Published December 20, 2019 by Sams)