ColdFusion MX 7 Web Application Construction Kit
Publisher: Macromedia Press – March 24, 2005
Co-authors: Angela Buraglia, Leon Chalnick, Raymond Camden
This title is out of date, and has been replaced by Adobe ColdFusion 9 Web Application Construction Kit, Volume 1: Getting Started.
This book is for anyone who wants to create cutting-edge Internet-based applications using ColdFusion MX 7 – the most customer driven version of ColdFusion to date.
If you are a Webmaster or Web page designer and want to create dynamic, data-driven Web pages, this book is for you. If you are an experienced database administrator who wants to take advantage of the Web to publish or collect data, this book is for you, too. If you are starting out creating your Web presence, but know you want to serve more than just static information, this book will help get you there. If you are a Flash designer and want to create Flash applications (instead of just animation and movies) then this is the book for you. If you have used ColdFusion before and want to learn what’s new in ColdFusion MX 7, this book is also for you. Even if you are an experienced ColdFusion user, this book provides you with invaluable tips and tricks and also serves as the definitive ColdFusion developer’s reference.
This book teaches you how to create real-world applications that solve real-world problems. Along the way, you acquire all the skills you need to design, implement, test, and roll out world-class applications.
Both as a tutorial and as a reference, this is the sixth edition of what has become the standard ColdFusion book (along with its sequel, Advanced ColdFusion MX 7 Application Development). And this new updated enhanced, and extended edition improves upon what has made this the #1 selling ColdFusion book ever. Some of the new topics covered include using the new Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 extensions, generating Flash Forms, using ColdFusion Components, development methodologies, the new printing and reporting features, and more.
Enjoy, and good luck with ColdFusion MX 7!
(Note: The size of this book has grown with each edition, and this update is no exception. Rather than split the book into multiple volumes we have opted to place the advanced chapters on the CD in electronic form. These chapters are included in the book index so as to facilitate easy access to this information).
- 1: Introducing ColdFusion
- 2: Introducing Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
- 3: Accessing the ColdFusion Administrator
- 4: Previewing ColdFusion
- 5: Building the Databases
- 6: Introducing SQL
- 7: SQL Data Manipulation
- 8: Using ColdFusion
- 9: CFML Basics
- 10: Creating Data-Driven Pages
- 11: The Basics of Structured Development
- 12: ColdFusion Forms
- 13: Form Data Validation
- 14: Using Forms to Add or Change Data
- 15: Beyond HTML Forms: Flash and XForms
- 16: Graphing, Printing, and Reporting
- 17: Debugging and Troubleshooting
- 18: Planning an Application
- 19: Introducing the Web Application Framework
- 20: Working with Sessions
- 21: Securing Your Applications
- 22: Building User-Defined Functions
- 23: Building Reusable Components
- 24: Improving the User Experience
- 25: Improving Performance
- 26: Integrating with Macromedia Flash
- 27: Interacting with Email
- 28: Online Commerce
- 29: ColdFusion Server Configuration
- 30: More About SQL and Queries
- 31: Working with Stored Procedures
- 32: Error Handling
- 33: Generating Non-HTML Content
- 34: Interacting with the Operating System
- 35: Full-Text Searching
- 36: Event Scheduling
- 37: Managing Your Code
- 38: Development Frameworks
- Appendix A: Installing ColdFusion MX 7, Dreamweaver MX 2004, and the Sample Files
- Appendix B: ColdFusion Tag Reference
- Appendix C: ColdFusion Function Reference
- Appendix D: Special ColdFusion Variables and Result Codes
- Appendix E: Verity Search Language Reference
- Appendix F: ColdFusion MX 7 Directory Structure
- Appendix G: Sample Application Data Files
Chapter 16: Graphing, Printing, and Reporting
Chapter 16 covers Report Builder basics. Here are additional tutorials for your learning pleasure:
Sample Code And Data Files
- ows.zip (1.5MB)
The lessons and examples in this book all use a database provided on the CD (or downloadable from this page). The provided database is a Microsoft Access MDB file. If you plan to use an alternate database the following selections will be of use to you:
- MySQL. To use MySQL download this file. It contains a complete SQL script for creating and populating a MySQL database with the example tables and data.
- Other databases. To use any other database download this file. It contains the raw table data in CSV format, and may be imported into a database of your choice.
Other Editions Of This Title
- The Cold Fusion Web Database Construction Kit (Published December 1, 1996 by Que)
- Cold Fusion Web Application Construction Kit (Published January 16, 1998 by Que)
- The ColdFusion 4.0 Web Application Construction Kit (Published December 23, 1998 by Que)
- ColdFusion 5 Web Application Construction Kit (Published July 25, 2001 by Que / Macromedia Press)
- ColdFusion MX Web Application Construction Kit (Published August 15, 2002 by Macromedia Press)
- ColdFusion 8 Web Application Construction Kit Volume 1: Getting Started (Published September 12, 2007 by Adobe Press)
- Adobe ColdFusion 9 Web Application Construction Kit, Volume 1: Getting Started (Published April 15, 2010 by Adobe Press)