Publisher: Macromedia Press – August 15, 2002
This title is out of date, and has been replaced by Adobe ColdFusion 9 Web Application Construction Kit, Volume 1: Getting Started.
This book is for anyone who wants to create cutting-edge Internet-based applications using ColdFusion MX – the new completely replanned, redesigned, reengineered, and rebuilt ColdFusion.
If you are a Webmaster or Web page designer and want to create dynamic, data-driven Web pages, this book is for you. If you are an experienced database administrator who wants to take advantage of the Web to publish or collect data, this book is for you, too. If you are starting out creating your Web presence, but know you want to serve more than just static information, this book will help get you there. If you are a Flash designer and want to create Flash applications (instead of just animation and movies) then this is the book for you. If you have used ColdFusion before and want to learn what’s new in ColdFusion MX, this book is also for you. Even if you are an experienced ColdFusion user, this book provides you with invaluable tips and tricks and also serves as the definitive ColdFusion developer’s reference.
This book teaches you how to create real-world applications that solve real-world problems. Along the way, you acquire all the skills you need to design, implement, test, and roll out world-class applications.
Both as a tutorial and as a reference, this is the fifth edition of what has become the standard ColdFusion book (along with its sequel, Advanced ColdFusion MX Application Development). And this new updated enhanced, and extended edition improves upon what has made this the #1 selling ColdFusion book ever. Some of the new topics covered include using Macromedia Dreamweaver MX, Flash integration (including Flash Remoting), using ColdFusion Components, development methodologies, project management and planning, and much more. In addition, the CFML tag and function references (the most frequently referred to sections of the books) are now back in print form in this edition.
Enjoy, and good luck with ColdFusion MX!
- 1: Introducing ColdFusion MX
- 2: Building the Databases
- 3: Accessing the ColdFusion Administrator
- 4: Previewing ColdFusion
- 5: Introducing SQL
- 6: SQL Data Manipulation
- 7: Introducing Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
- 8: Using ColdFusion
- 9: CFML Basics
- 10: Creating Data-Driven Pages
- 11: ColdFusion Forms
- 12: Form Data Validation
- 13: Using Forms to Add or Change Data
- 14: Debugging and Troubleshooting
- 15: Planning an Application
- 16: Introducing the Web Application Framework
- 17: Working with Sessions
- 18: Securing Your Applications
- 19: Building User-Defined Functions
- 20: Building Reusable Components
- 21: Improving the User Experience
- 22: Improving Performance
- 23: Integrating with Macromedia Flash
- 24: Enhancing Forms with Client-Side Java
- 25: Graphing
- 26: Interacting with Email
- 27: Online Commerce
- 28: ColdFusion Server Configuration
- 29: More About SQL and Queries
- 30: Working with Stored Procedures
- 31: Error Handling
- 32: Generating Non-HTML Content
- 33: Interacting with the Operating System
- 34: Full-Text Searching
- 35: Event Scheduling
- 36: Managing Your Code
- 37: Development Methodologies
- Appendix A: Installing ColdFusion MX, Dreamweaver MX, and the Sample Files
- Appendix B: ColdFusion Tag Reference
- Appendix C: ColdFusion Function Reference
- Appendix D: Special ColdFusion Variables and Result Codes
- Appendix E: Verity Search Language Reference
- Appendix F: ColdFusion MX Directory Structure
- Appendix G: Sample Application Data Files
ErrataThere is an errata available for this title.
- Turkey (Turkish): Published by medyasoft
The lessons and examples in this book all use a database provided on the CD (or downloadable from this page). The provided database is a Microsoft Access MDB file. If you plan to use an alternate database the following selections will be of use to you:
- MySQL. To use MySQL download this file. It contains a complete SQL script for creating and populating a MySQL database with the example tables and data.
- Other databases. To use any other database download this file. It contains the raw table data in CSV format, and may be imported into a database of your choice.
Chapter 23 refers to Flash components on the CD. If you are missing these files you may download them from Macromedia directly:
The accompanying CD contains all the sample applications created in the book, five electronic chapters, and copies of all evaluation software. Need a copy of the contents of the CD? Look no further:
- 0321125169_ows.zip [1.6 MB]
This ZIP file is the ows directory structure which contains the sample applications created in the book.
- 0321125169_pdf.zip [3.3 MB]
This ZIP file contains the five electronic book chapters in PDF form.
Note: To use this book you will, at a minimum, need copies of ColdFusion MX and Dreamweaver MX (and optionally Flash MX). Copies of these are included on the book CD, but may also be downloaded from Macromedia directly (only English versions of the software are included on the CD, non-English versions may be downloaded from the Macromedia web site). To obtain copies of ColdFusion MX, Dreamweaver MX, or Flash MX go to http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial_download/. The evaluation versions of Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX (whether downloaded or installed from the book CD) will expire in 30 days. The evaluation version of ColdFusion MX will run for 30 days and will then turn into a Developer Edition which does not expire and may be used as needed for development projects.
Other Editions Of This Title
- The Cold Fusion Web Database Construction Kit (Published December 1, 1996 by Que)
- Cold Fusion Web Application Construction Kit (Published January 16, 1998 by Que)
- The ColdFusion 4.0 Web Application Construction Kit (Published December 23, 1998 by Que)
- ColdFusion 5 Web Application Construction Kit (Published July 25, 2001 by Que / Macromedia Press)
- ColdFusion MX 7 Web Application Construction Kit (Published March 24, 2005 by Macromedia Press)
- ColdFusion 8 Web Application Construction Kit Volume 1: Getting Started (Published September 12, 2007 by Adobe Press)
- Adobe ColdFusion 9 Web Application Construction Kit, Volume 1: Getting Started (Published April 15, 2010 by Adobe Press)