One of the examples that I have been using in my user group presentations is a ColdFusion Session Tracker. This application uses Flex Enterprise Services to push real time session details to a connected Flex client. The display is a grid of sessions showing request count and when the most recent request occurred, and allowing each session to be expanded (to see details) and collapsed as needed.
The application is a demonstration of:
- How to send structured data from ColdFusion to Flex clients via Flex Enterprise Services (FES).
- How to subscribe to messages channels and how to consume received data.
- The use of custom grid renderers.
- Using states to implement expand/collapse views within grid cell renderers.
To create and run the ColdFusion Session Tracker you must have the following (all of which are downloadable from the Labs site):
- ColdFusion MX 7.01 (Enterprise or Developer editions) with the “Mystic” updater installed.
- Flex Builder 2.0 Beta 1.
- Flex Enterprise Services 2.0 Beta 1.
As this application uses Flex Enterprise Services it cannot be used with ColdFusion Standard (which does not support the use of event gateways). ColdFusion Enterprise (or Developer Edition) is required.
You can download the application (along with detailed instructions and usage notes) from the ColdFusion/Flex Connectivity page.