8Nov
CFEclipse Article On IBM developerWorks

Jim Priest has written a great article on CFEclipse for IBM developerWorks entitled Code ColdFusion applications fast with the Eclipse CFEclipse plug-in.

• Syed

Ben, one quick question, i downloaded eclipse like last week, but when i try to open a file from my windows explorer, eclipse doesnt open up the file. I read somewhere that eclipse does not have the feature of doing that since it uses projects. Is that right?

I tried same thing my VSS (source safe), again, it didnt open my files. I tried researching, i found the plugin for VSS, but someone told me not to use it, because it messes up the code once in a while.

I think it would be time consuming to use eclipse if it does not have ability to open up files from explorer.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Syed

#1Posted by Syed | Nov 9, 2007, 12:53 PM

Syed, we'll need one of the Eclipse gurus to weigh in here. You can open a file in Eclipse without a project being open. But yes, I have also run into opening a file from Windows Explorer and Eclipse opens by the file is not opened.

#2Posted by Ben Forta | Nov 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
  • Mark Drew

Syed

You are right, Eclipse is not an Editor per-se, so you dont just open up any old file from Windows Explorer and edit it (the same with lots of other IDE's such a IDEA and NetBeans).

It is project based, so that feature is not there, and there are requirements for it being ask. Once you go down the project route a lot of good things will come from it. i.e. you will actually be able to integrate to SVN right out of the box.

With regards to the VSS plugin, I have used it in the past and it seemed to work, it was just a wrapper for the underlying VSS command line functions, since VSS is closed source it couldn't be TOTALLY replicated in Java.

with regards to it being time consuming? Well, I completely dis-agree, I find and open up files in about 2 seconds from the IDE compared to browsing through folders. but if you want to waste your day doing that, go for it.

MD

#3Posted by Mark Drew | Nov 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
  • Syed

Mark, that completely make sense. I'll try start using it in the future.

*I usuall leave the folder open, and switch to the folder and open up the file. Compared to some ide's, each time i try to browse a file, it takes me back to eiterh C drive or desktop, which is annoying.

But thank you for clearing things Mark, i like eclipse features, and i'll try to use it too.

#4Posted by Syed | Nov 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
  • Mark Drew

In Eclipse I use two keys a lot of the time, Ctrl + Shift + R , and start typing the name of the file, this will show me all the files in my project that start with it, until it finds it, then I just click return (no need to know which folder it is in )

If I already have the file open (I have been known to have about 120 files open at the end of the week) I just click Ctrl + E and it does the same thing.

MUCH faster than doing "file -> open" or even looking for a file in a project listing, and I am not even talking about how much faster that is compared to looking for it using windows explorer.

(hey, I actually use OS X's Finder, but there you go!)

HTH

MD

#5Posted by Mark Drew | Nov 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
  • Syed

Mark, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try after my current project.

#6Posted by Syed | Nov 9, 2007, 02:25 PM